[Mailman-Developers] When will mailman 1.2 be released?

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:34:03 -0500

Ricardo - Miss Janet . Fanclub [ricardo@miss-janet.com] wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 01:14:43PM -0500, Alok Dhir wrote:
> > 	1.  Ability to search for members by email address
> > 	2.  Ability to store membership info in a Mysql database
> > It would also be great if one could extend the schema of the subscriber
> > database to include additinal fields (name, address, etc), but this is a
> > much lower priority than the other two...
>
> Actually I've been thinking of some way to integrate (My)SQL with Mailman.
> It would be great if you could choose to have all the configuration stored
> in any form of DB you want, instead of the python db (the name slipped me
> for a moment here)... but i guess that would mean a major rewrite of
> a lot of MM's fuctinality...
> or maybe the user db could be separated from config.db...

Pleas don't assume MySQL when you write this... at the very least write an
abstraction layer that uses the DB-API to access it... a lot of us don't
use MySQL (we're built on Oracle, Sybase and DB2)... :-)

> does anybody have some thoughts on this too?

I have a lot of thoughts, I can try and wrap them together over the
weekedn, including posting some E-R diagrams.

> I know a lot of people would like to be able to have a customizable
> userdatabase. We're going to use Mailman for a project soon, where we
> need to define extra fields too.

Barry and I had a bit of a talk at the IP8 conference...

Chris