[Mailman-Developers] Stripping HTML

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 22:59:29 +0100

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 12:42:11PM -0500, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

>     While you are at it, add the ability to strip out other formatting--
> like the non-HTML <param>font</param stuff you find from certain clients
> [it isn't HTML, is it]?

It's 'Enriched Text', mimetype 'text/enriched'. Not to be confused with
Rich Text Format, 'text/rtf' ;) Yes, it is very annoying, yes, it should be
stripped too, if such an option is given. Perhaps message denial/holding
based on message content-type in general is a good idea, too. We currently
have a company policy regarding sending 'colourful' ascii messages -- a
second offense gets the sender a visit from the bastard operators from hell
-- but i would be very happy to send back any mail that does not have at
least one text/plain segment.

To be fair, the biggest problem with text/html and text/enriched messages is
that a lot of email programs enable it by default, and new users do not know
what they are doing. Usually a single warning is enough, for our new
employees :P

Anyway, it's somewhere on my TODO wishlist ;)
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>