[Mailman-Developers] cron/gate_news watermark == 0

Jim Tittsler jwt@dskk.co.jp
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 14:54:01 +0900

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 08:57:20PM +0100, Harald Meland wrote:
> Or, even better, move the per-list watermark info from gate_watermarks
> into the list's config.db, replacing any 0 values in gate_watermarks
> with None values in config.db.  This has the advantage of reducing the
> number of different files that would have to be changed when
> cloning/renaming a list.

This seems logical to me, since I think the administrator really wants to do
the "catch up" any time gateway_to_mail transitions from No to Yes (implying
that it needs to be able to update the watermark, either in config.db or by
locking(?) and updating gate_watermarks).

With the present behavior, watermarks don't appear to be deleted if you stop
gatewaying a newsgroup for a while.  So if you restarted gatewaying... you
would flood the list with all of the posts that happened in the interim
because the old watermark is still hanging around.  (You could del the
watermark entries any time gate_news was run and the list wasn't marked as
gatewaying... that seems unclean, but a smaller patch. :-)

Jim