[Mailman-Developers] New feature, auto-responding

bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 10:30:08 -0500 (EST)

    RK> this sounds like an interesting feature... it would be
    RK> extremely cool if MM could autorespond to messages containing
    RK> HTML encoded email: this way those people can get a response
    RK> that next time they time they shouldn't post HTML email, and
    RK> some short instructions how to change to plain text. Or am I
    RK> missing the point of the autoresponder usage here?

I hacked this stuff in to handle a couple of MM lists we've got
running on py.org, namely help@ and tutor@.  Both of these have
standard reply texts they send to posters, i.e. giving them a list of
places to look while their email is processed.  Maybe we could hook
your idea into bbum's work?

    RK> I know there are several people on the develop list right now
    RK> who's fingers are itching to contribute to the MM code. Maybe
    RK> we could make a list of features we want to implement in 1.2,
    RK> and then see if anybody wants to pick up one or more of those
    RK> features. Personally I really want to help out too, even
    RK> though i'm still learning Python and the way MM is structured,
    RK> i'd like to expand my knowledge beyond admindb.py :)

I think that's a great idea.  One of the things that will help this, I
believe, is moving the project over to SourceForge.  I've started to
set that up, but got waylaid because I think they assign project
numbers from the Freshmeat database, and it looks like they linked us
to MailMan, not Mailman (i.e. Endymion's completely unrelated
product).  I've got a couple of calls into SF, but am still waiting to
hear about that.

I think SF provides a lot of very useful tools for OSS project
management, and I'd like to see us move there after 1.2.  The trick to
accepting actual code contributions is the copyright assignment
requirements.

As for the way MM is structured, I've done some cleaning up of that,
but I think more still needs to be done.

-Barry