[Mailman-Developers] mail/news gateway

Gergely Madarasz gorgo@sztaki.hu
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:20:53 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us wrote:

>     GM> Ahm... perhaps the queue should be expanded to handle the NNTP
>     GM> case too then ? :) We don't want mails get lost on their way
>     GM> to newsgroups... :)
>
> Except that Mailman's mail queuing is gone too now in the current CVS
> snapshot.  The 1.1 implementation caused a terrible performance hit so
> I ripped it out, figuring a well configured MTA should be able to do
> that job, and do it better.  It could be added back, but I haven't
> found a need.  If someone wants to re-implement this against the
> current architecture, then I agree that nntp queuing should be part of
> the picture.

Ah, indeed, now mailman calls the MTA directly, and no smtp on port 25,
right ? Perhaps there is a way to do something like that with the news
server, so no need to talk nntp... with inn rnews seems to be the program
to call, I don't know about other nntpservers...

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@sztaki.hu           gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                   HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/