[Mailman-Developers] mail/news gateway

bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:51:11 -0500 (EST)

    NM> A solution to this is to add your mailman host (which would
    NM> typically be 127.0.0.1) into smtp_reserve_hosts and then set
    NM> the related parameters such as smtp_accept_reserve,
    NM> smtp_load_reserve and the various *_load* options so that
    NM> incoming SMTP is always accepted from mailman (although the
    NM> messages may be queued rather than immediately delivered).

That would be fine.  Anybody know of similar parameters for Postfix or
other MTAs?  It makes sense that MTAs should be able to treat
localhost connections differently than remote connections.

    NM> The upside of this is that it puts less load on the system
    NM> than additional invocations of exim from the command line, and
    NM> all your load policy is pretty much in one place.  Whichever
    NM> method you use there may still be errors caused due to (for
    NM> example) running out of spool space.

And Mailman could have a bug, or Python could throw MemoryErrors,
etc.

Anyway, if Mailman can't successfully do the SMTP transaction, and it
gets exceptions it doesn't know how to deal with, the exception should
at least get logged.  I know that doesn't make you feel great, and the
situation should be improved.

-Barry