[Mailman-Developers] sendmail exit 2 error on lists

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 16:26:25 -0500 (EST)

    SR> I did make that migration from majordomo to Mailman 1.2 beta 1
    SR> (checked out of cvs on 02/23/00) and only ran into one
    SR> issue. One of my users had the following email address while
    SR> using majordomo:

    SR>   "Tim O'Flynn/DUB/xxxx" <Tim_O'Flynn@xxxx.com>

    SR> I used the bin/add_members script to import the list. This had
    SR> no problems. The resulting email address in Mailman was:

    SR>   tim_o'flynn@xxxx.com

    SR> The problem was sending mail to this list would result in the
    SR> follwing error:

This is probably due to a shell escape problem with that single
quote.  The Sendmail.py delivery module uses os.popen() to invoke an
external sendmail process, which goes through the shell.  I'd suggest
trying to switch to the SMTPDirect delivery module, which should avoid
this problem.

Add this line to your Mailman/mm_cfg.py file:

DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'

You may need to change SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT; see
Mailman/Defaults.py.in for details.

I'm going to make SMTPDirect the default for the 1.2 release.

-Barry