[Mailman-Developers] TODO: Search engine for archives

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 19:22:53 -0500 (EST)

    GC> I'm willing to take a crack at adding search functionality to
    GC> the internal archiver if nobody else is already working on it.
    GC> I'm willing to lend a hand if someone is working on it.

That would be very cool!

    GC> Who "owns" the current archiver code?  I don't want to step on
    GC> anyone's toes and I have some questions about the current
    GC> archiver architecture.

Andrew Kuchling wrote the original Pipermail code, and I think Scott
Cotton did the integration to Mailman (I could be wrong about that).
My colleague here at CNRI, Jeremy Hylton, did a bit of work improving
the performance of Pipermail.  Other than that, no one's really
touched it much.

I certainly don't have any interest in working on the Pipermail code,
so I'd say go for it.  If you have questions about the architecture,
Andrew is probably the best person to ask (he's probably not on this
mailing list though).

Let me know if you plan to hack the code; I can send you the FSF forms
that will be required.

-Barry