[Mailman-Developers] Precedence of mailman generated messages

Dan Ohnesorg dan@feld.cvut.cz
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:56:21 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> A number of MTAs generate delay warning messages for messages that
> cannot be delivered within a certain period of time.  This is normally
> disabled for messages with Precedence headers that declare them to be
> list/bulk/junk mail.
>
> The *list* messages sent out by mailman do have this precedence header
> (thankfully - I have been mailbombed in the past by MTAs that ignored
> the precedence).  However admin mesages, including message bounce
> copies, are sent on without added Precedence.
>
> It would suit me personally if admin messages also had Precedence set
> down - would that be a good thing in general?

Yes I agree, but sending of warnigs messages is controlled by DSN, which
is also in mailman supported too. But probably not on every place.

Precence bulk is bad due to filering rules on client side, some peoples
will read bulk messages only sometimes.

Due i18n of mailman, there is needed object which will know how to send
8bit admin messages and shloud support QP too for compatibility with older
mailers. This can implment DSN in admin messages too.

cheers
dan

DDDDDD
DD   DD                Dan Ohnesorg, supervisor on POWER
DD  OOOO               Dan@feld.cvut.cz
DD OODDOO              Dep. of Power Engineering
DDDDDD OO              CTU FEL Prague, Bohemia
   OO  OO              work: +420 2 24352785;+420 2 24972109
    OOOO               home: +420 311 679679;+420 311 679311

Jamese Rustona zabil kulovy blesk. Byla to velka udalost.
Byl po dvaceti letech prvnim obcanem Stonevillu,
ktery zemrel prirozenou smrti.