[Mailman-Developers] What does this comment mean???

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:49:29 -0500 (EST)

    BB> In ToArchive.py [Handlers/], there is the following hunk o'
    BB> code:

    BB> def process(mlist, msg):
    BB>     # short circuits if getattr(msg, 'isdigest', 0): return #
    BB> TBD: this needs to be converted to the new pipeline machinery
    BB> mlist.ArchiveMail(msg)

    BB> I'm curious what the TBD: comment actually means.

It means that the glue code between Mailman and Pipermail was too hairy
for me to properly recode using the new handler architecture, so for
this go 'round, I just did a simple port of the archive call.  My
thinking is that the MailList mixin class should not include the
archive class (or if so, then just what is necessary for web
configurability).

    BB> (I'm in the process of ripping out pipermail and modifying
    BB> MailMan's archival mechanism to use WebDAV to archive
    BB> messages.  This also includes the ability to file attachments
    BB> seperately and rewrite the outbound message such that all of
    BB> the attachments are turned into URLs to the archive server.
    BB> Obviously, all the changes will be contributed back to the
    BB> community and I would like to make such changes in the most
    BB> compliant manner possible.)

In that case, you can essentially throw away ToArchive, or maybe
rename it ToPipermail.  If you can share some of the web configuration
stuff with the existing class, that would be great.

-Barry