[Mailman-Developers] Mailman and LDAP?

Risto Kotalampi risto@kotalampi.com
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:33:31 -0700

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 02:13:54PM -0400, Ron Jarrell wrote:
> I guess the big question to ask here, being an LDAP person, is what in heck
> would you want the LDAP directory to *do* in this case?  The only possible
> "integration" I can see is using the LDAP dir as the db that stores list attributes,
> rather than the marshall file.  In which case no, it doesn't support ldap.  If the
> planned move to using "real" databases is sufficiently generic, it's possible
> an ldap plugin could be done, but at this point I don' t see what it really buys you.

Yes, basically LDAP would only act as a database to store subscribers.

Perhaps the biggest benefit of LDAP would be dynamic lists. You
could define mail lists by single LDAP query; for example all people reporting
to certain manager, all people in certain location, all contractors, all
permanent employees etc.

Risto