[Mailman-Developers] chunkify suggestion, with patch.

Darrell Fuhriman darrell@grumblesmurf.net
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:08:12 -0700 (PDT)

> I can work on adding it as an option, certainly.  And I would like to make
> the modifications I mentioned in my original post.

OK, I've put my money where my mouth is.  (I should have just done this to
start with.)

I've updated my patch #100922 on sourceforge to add the SMTP_CHUNKIFY
feature.  And yes, it applies cleanly against the CVS tree.  :)

Here's the relevant section from Defaults.py.in, which should explain the
changes. Please bug me if you have any questions.

I'd appreciate it if someone would stick this on a large list. :)

# Absolute ceiling on the number of recipients that can be specified
# in a single SMTP transaction.  Set to 0 to allow the entire
# recipient list in one transaction.  Only used with the SMTPDirect
# DELIVERY_MODULE.
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 500

# Should we split the recipient list into smaller groups?
# If you're using sendmail (at least), this should improve your
# performance, particularly on larger lists.  Only used with SMTPDirect.
SMTP_CHUNKIFY = 1

# If we're chunkifying, how big should the chunks be?  This number is
# a guideline.  We try to include all receipients in the same domain
# in the same chunk, up to SMTP_MAX_RCPTS, even if that exceeds this
# number.  If this number is larger than SMTP_MAX_RCPTS, it will be
# set automatically to the smaller number.
SMTP_CHUNK_SIZE = 20