[Mailman-Developers] lowercase listnames?

Jim Tittsler jwt@OnJapan.net
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:35:10 +0900

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 07:41:27PM -0700, Darrell Fuhriman wrote:
> > newlist lowercases the listname before creating it.  Is there
> > any good reason for this?  Unix isn't case-insensitive; do we
> > really want Mailman to be?
>
> Yes, we do, because it makes thing cleaner, and because RFC-822 says all
> headers are case insensitive anyway.

No, it allows the local part to be "case preserved" (and it specifically
notes that postmaster is one address that has to be handled case
insenstively).  See 3.4.7.  In practice, many (nearly all) MTAs/MDAs treat
all local parts case insensitively.

I agree that it makes it "cleaner."

The list name in the Mailman URLs are case insensitive, so I can visit the
listinfo for one of my lists with: