[Mailman-Developers] lowercase listnames?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 00:29:17 -0400 (EDT)

    DF> Though god knows why anyone would *want* a case-sensitive
    DF> anything in an e-mail address.  gun, foot and all that.
    DF> *shudder*

It has definitely come up in the past and caused people problems.
Probably not a majority of users, but still.

When you register an email address with Mailman, it case preserves the
localpart for purposes of sending out the messages, but it always
compares email addresses case insensitively.  You can't subscribe two
addresses which differ only by case, but when it sends out a message,
it will make sure to send it out with the exact address that was
subscribed.

But I don't think this is what Dan was talking about.

-Barry