[Mailman-Developers] Many more bounces lately

Dan Mick Dan Mick <Dan.Mick@west.sun.com>
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:21:15 -0700 (PDT)

> For a while there, I had several weeks of "no unhandled bounces".  Now I'm
> getting a lot that aren't being caught, and I'm going to go start diagnosing
> them.
>
> Barry, or anyone, do you have anything other than the code itself to help
> understand the various sorts of bounces that are caught by the various
> Bouncer modules?  (i.e. samples or other explanatory docs?)
> I expect the answer to be "no", but it doesn't hurt to ask.

So now I know something about running pdb, and I've identified some
things about one of the messages that bounces:

It looks like DSN should be catching it, but it has no '*recipient'
headers in its message/delivery-status section; the only mention
of the bouncing address occurs in the text/plain section above it.
It's from mx6.boston.juno.com, and I can't find anything about it
that gives a clue as to what MTA might be generating it.

It also looks vaguely like Netscape.py might be a better one to hack,
since it embodies the "no recipient" part.  I'll be trying to do that.

here's a sample excerpt:

This is a MIME-encapsulated message

--AAA6Z5S39A5QX2T2/mx6.boston.juno.com
						<<< first part: text/plain
The original message was received at Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:41:35 -0400 (EST)
from scr-admin@socal-raves.org

god_is_luv@juno.com				<<< only address

550 Service unavailable

--AAA6Z5S39A5QX2T2/mx6.boston.juno.com

Reporting-MTA: mx6.boston.juno.com
Arrival-Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:41:35 -0400 (EST)

Action: failed
last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:41:35 -0400 (EST)

--AAA6Z5S39A5QX2T2/mx6.boston.juno.com

t [24.30.117.227])