[Mailman-Developers] SMTPDirect.py and logs/post

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
05 Jun 2000 00:41:13 +0200

[Nigel Metheringham]

> bwarsaw@python.org said:
> > Sendmail.py logs the list name, the sender and the message size.  What
> > information would you like to add?  All of those?
>
> The SMTP response from the trailing . of the DATA section would be
> useful - that contains the MTA queue id on many systems.

I agree, although that isn't easily accessible information when using
the smtplib.SMTP.sendmail() interface.

Looking at smtplib.py, I think one might argue that the data() method
could store the text part of it's final response for later perusal,
along the same lines as is done in the ehlo() and helo() methods.

If such change isn't deemed general enough to go into smtplib.py, we
could get this behaviour of data() by making a simple subclass of
smtplib.SMTP for Mailman use.

Should I try knocking together a patch?

> If this can't be done, the message-id would be useful.

I'd say both those things can be pretty useful.
--
Harald