[Mailman-Developers] Mailman version

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:38:00 -0700

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 07:51:29 -0700
Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> wrote:

> 1.x is pretty cool; I'm not a developer, JC just dragged me into
> mailman and I must say I am very impressed (I believe that I sent
> JC mail saying "this is better than BitKeeper" so that should give
> you some idea of how much I like it).

Nice to see you here again Larry.

> I don't think you can go wrong with using 1.x for now, it's very
> functional.

I've been playing, very softly, with 2.0*.  My take: 1.1 works, I
like it, I use it.  2.0* works better (eg far better bounce message
parsing) but has a number of fragile corners.  If you never hit
those corners, of course, you'll never care.  OTOH we don't know
where all the corners are yet.  I don't feel that 2.0* has been hit
hard enough to be relied on for a production system as shown by the
rate of reported bugs.

Given that a concern for production systems is that rolling to
versions of installed software is painful, I don't see that going to
2.0* right now is worth it.  In a few weeks/months you are going to
have to upgrade to the full 2.x release anyway, just as you would
from 1.1.  Yes, the delta will be a little smaller, but that's
hardly a big concern when most of the pain centers on rolling the
version in the first place.

For production systems, go with 1.1.  Its not as wonderful as 2.0*,
but it does work, and quite well to boot.

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder@kanga.nu