[Mailman-Developers] Web interface for creating new mailing lists

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic@iskon.hr
14 Jun 2000 21:35:24 +0200

Matt Davis <bigdog@dogpound.vnet.net> writes:

> On 14 Jun 2000, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
>
> > What I have in mind is a user/maintainer-friendly web interface that
> > allows you to open new mailing lists, delete the existing ones, stuff
> > like that.  It would store its state information somewhere in the
> > mailman directories, and write out sendmail-(or whatever)-style
> > aliases to a system file instructed to be read by the MTA -- say
> > /etc/mail/mailman-aliases.
>
> The newlist program could be hacked up to pipe thoes sendmail
> aliases to a mailman writeable alias file like you mentioned above..
> But the problem I ran into was getting sendmail to reread thoes
> aliases.  As far as I could see, only root could run 'newaliases'.

On my system we never run `newaliases' because sendmail rebuilds the
aliases database on demand, automatically.

(The support for that will soon be removed from sendmail, but I assume
the same task could be performed by a simple cron job.)