[Mailman-Developers] password a MUST?!

Mentor Cana mentor@alb-net.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 00:24:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, at 21:16, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> At 12:07 AM -0400 6/15/2000, Mentor Cana wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >Isn't it more user friendly and a nice feature to have the password as
> >optional when users try to subscribe to a list?
>
> You need some way to authenticate users on the web site. Otherwise,
> anyone with your emailaddress can raise havoc on you.

Isn't this independent of the fact if password is required on subscription
or not? What I'm saying is not to eliminate the password option all
together, just suggestion that password should not be required if not
supplied and mailman generates the password instead.

The havoc is control by the list setting that should require confirmation
on subscription which is not dependent on he passwords.

later,
Mentor