[Mailman-Developers] Mailman home location nowadays...

bwarsaw@python.org bwarsaw@python.org
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:19:22 -0400 (EDT)

    NM> Mailman seems to be spreading somewhat...  currently there
    NM> seems to be:-

    NM>   http://www.list.org/ - general info, FAQs, link to jitterbug
    NM> database, current source

    NM>   http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html - quoted as
    NM> the canonical source, older source (currently offline)

Seems to work for me, and the ftp site has 2.0b2.

I was thinking about using list.org to house a lot more information
about Mailman, including eventually manuals, API's, and perhaps a more
elaborate site.  I don't know if that would work on gnu.org so I was
thinking that that would just be a very brief intro.  RMS may want
gnu.org to be the primary site though, but I'll only do that if I can
have the creative control I want.

    |   http://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=103
    | 	- developer stuff, patches, bug db, release sources set, cvs

I'd like to migrate everything off of python.org except the mailing
lists (and maybe one day those too).  Jitterbug blows, and SF's
project management stuff has other problems, but I think it's the
right long term solution.  At some point I plan on turning of the
Jitterbug stuff and just pointing everyone to SF.

    |   http://mailman.sourceforge.net/
    | 	[potential.... sourceforge is currently suffering "issues"]

Yeah, I just tried that, wassup with it?

Ideally, mailman.sourceforge.net, gnu.org/..., and list.org would be
identical copies of the same web pages and ftp.  Think of them as
mirrors.

    NM> Barry, where is the best place for developer type activity now
    NM> - patches/issues to list, into sourceforge, into jitterbug, or
    NM> something else?  [obviously to all rules there will be
    NM> exceptions - security related stuff might be best straight to
    NM> you so it can be fixed before publicised, patches that are
    NM> concepts for comments are prolly best to the list]

Yup.  Let's try to start using SF to track stuff, because while it has
problems, it's better than Jitterbug.  For really important stuff, use
mailman-developers or mailman-cabal (this reaches just the core
developers).  I haven't had time to read mailman-users in a long time,
so I really appreciate when people forward the important stuff to the
dev list.

-Barry