Re[2]: [Mailman-Developers] ZODB and ZEO for mailman

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:43:37 -0700

At 1:07 AM -0400 6/21/2000, Christopher Petrilli wrote:

>As for a DB-API interface, that would pretty well negate using ZODB,
>since DB-API is aimed at ractangular data, not rich objects.  You
>would need to create an abstraction layer much higher than that. More
>like an O-R mapping (a'la EOF, or whatever).

So if I get this correctly, there needs to be an API involved that
could interact with DB, DBI or ZODB, much as the DBI layer abstracts
MySQL, PostGres, ODBC, et al.

That actually isn't a bad idea at all, since the first thing that can
be done is defining the abstraction layer for the API, then building
the DB interface to it so that existing systems can migrate and keep
existing systems. And then that can be extended to support the other
data stores as time and need meet with resources and volunteers.
That's probably the cleanest answer anyway, since the first thing
that happens is you build the API into an existing system, so you
isolate the complexity of defining the API and building in the new
datastores.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"