[Mailman-Developers] suggestion

Dan Mick dan.mick@West.Sun.COM
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:27:08 -0800

Matt Davis wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Ricardo Kustner wrote:
>
> > How about moving things like the list welcome message, headers, footers
> > and other multiple line texts out of the database and into seperate
> > text files? And treat/edit them in the same way as the html templates...
> > this would it also make it easier to edit them directly.
> > I remember having a lot of difficulties (when I started using mailman
> > about a year ago) with creating the welcome message because the textarea
> > was too small and strange things happened when i cut/pasted it into the
> > textarea with Netscape on Linux (I had to boot windows just to be able
> > to enter the welcome message properly ;) )
>
> I agree.  But maybe have both available.  As in, the web page grabs the
> info from the txt files and allows you to edit via the web interface or
> directly from the txt files.

Thirded, bigtime.  Such "obvious changers" should be RCSed, for instance,
and there's no easy way to do that with the current scheme.  I keep threatening,
although I haven't yet, to set up a script that will "check out text,
allow editing, check it back in, and invoke Python to shove it into
config.db".  (that's actually pretty easy to do; just open the file
and set "m.welcome_msg" from it, for the welcome, for instance..)