[Mailman-Developers] Huge lists

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 08:25:10 -0700

At 4:18 PM +0100 5/24/2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

>Yes, but you have done this by denying the MTA the chance to optomise
>delivery by packing multiple similar recipients together.

On the other, other hand, it gives you great ability to make life
easier for the end user, because you can pre-encode your
administrative links iwth their email address, making them literally
one-click operations, you can encode their subscribed address into
the headers to make bounce processing and user identification easier,
and brings you all sorts of things.

And in today's internet, bandwidth is pretty darn cheap, and getting
cheaper. Even on my custom MLM running my big muther lists, I'm
estimating full verp will add maybe one hour to delivery time (where
delivery time for a message is 5ish hours), and with other
optimizations by freeing up the MTA, I might even make some of that
back.

>However we're getting to religious arguments here.  Suffice it to say
>that should mailman go VERP only, I move to something else :-)

But VERP is where everything is moving, for good reason. Which means
your options will be increasingly limited over time. But I tend to
agree -- VERP is good, but it probably ought to be optional (but
default on....). In all honesty, unless you're running a mailing list
across a network link with marginal capacity for what you're doing, I
can't see any reasons why VERP is a bad thing.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"