[Mailman-Developers] Huge lists

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk
Fri, 26 May 2000 09:24:17 +0100

chuqui@plaidworks.com said:
> I was thinking last night that what would REALLY, REALLY be useful
> here is an extended SMTP protocol that allows the VERPing to be
> introduced by the receiving SMTP server, rather than the delivery
> server or MLM. And after thinking about it, I went and laid down in a
> dark room until I got over it... (snicker). But if you think about
> it, the downside to VERP is you lose the efficiency of batching
> multiple addresses into a single transaction, so the solution is to
> extend SMTP to allow us to maintain that effeciency while building in
> the VERPing data at time of delivery...

However isn't this to some extent reimplementing DSN - which a lot of
people are currently not doing because the spec is complex and opaque.
Exim doesn't DSN right now...  I think I will spend time looking at
this since up to now I have been accepting other peoples comments on
that RFC

> the problem seems to be sites that  are running really downrev
> versions of things that nobody's watching  or upgrading.

which is the problem with adding mods to SMTP or MTAs - we have to
carry the people who don't follow the upgrade path.

> I realize the last couple of days we've brought forward a lot of neat
> stuff and then decided it's best NOT to do it, but sometimes the best
> thing you can do to make a project work is define what it's NOT, so
> you can focus on what it is. And put everything else down in the TODO
> for a future generation to wonder about.

Definitely.  Can we have a NOT_TODO as well with a list of the things
and excerpts of the list discussion so that we don't have the same
discussion set every few months.

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk ]