[Mailman-Developers] Patch #102268

Erik Forsberg forsberg@lysator.liu.se
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 00:40:49 +0100 (CET)

>So, that means that a header which reads QUOTED-PRINTABLE is completely
>RFC-compliant, and if there's a mailreader or other utility that barfs on
>it, it's that mailreader's bug, not Mailman's.
>
>Or am I missing something?

Yes. Mailman didn't archive correctly because it didn't understand the
encoding. Here's the code that caused the problem:

(Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py)

if self.charset is None or self.cenc != "quoted-printable":
            return null_to_space(string.join(body, ""))

now what happends if self.cenc is "QUOTED-PRINTABLE"? The
code that knows how to decode QP is never executed and the mail looks
very ugly in the Web archive.

My patch lowercases self.cenc where it's value is set.

>> I guess the archiver behaves that way so search engines won't get
>> confused if you remove a message or something?
>
>No, arch is there to rebuild archives from .mbox files; it's not there to add
>messages.  Hence its comment:
>
>	Use this command to rebuild the archives for a mailing list.

Try using arch on a archive that's already existing...

\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                 http://www.lysator.liu.se/~forsberg/
PGP fingerprint = 37 1B D7 9E 97 8C EF 39  0E DE 08 E8 99 0C 5E A9