[Mailman-Developers] Re: Reverting question

Gerald Oskoboiny gerald@impressive.net
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:39:27 -0500

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 11:40:45AM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     CVR> In general I'm against coercing Reply-To. Strongly.
>
> Me too.

Me too.

> The primary complaint is that people accidently send private responses
> to the whole list.  This happens because they've trained themselves to
> know the difference between replies and followups, and have MUAs that
> separate those functions.

Yes, and that's definitely a Good Thing: it should be a very
conscious choice whether to send a private reply or to send
mail to possibly hundreds or thousands of people.

> The only grumblings occur when people don't
> trim their CC headers (like I've done here) and folks start getting
> duplicates.  That can be handled in other ways (e.g. the list /could/
> suppress deliveries to list members that it sees explicitly in the
> recipients list, although as we've discussed before, that has some
> potential for abuse).

Another solution to this is the Mail-Followup-To header:
(not widely supported yet)

    http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html

(related info for mutt users: http://larve.net/people/hugo/2000/07/ml-mutt )

--