[Mailman-Developers] Future of pipermail?

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:52:13 -0800

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:42:27 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

> At 9:41 PM -0500 11/16/00, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>>  It's not near the top of my priorities at the moment, but I
>> would like to work on a new archiver.  Perhaps we should start
>> sketching some design issues in Barry's Mailman wiki.

> Does mailman have to an an integrated archiver? Isn't this another
> variant of the "integrated MTA" discussion?

For inexperienced/new admins and sites there's significant advantage
to the all-in-one approach.  You and I may not be fond of it, but we
also aren't members of that audience (which is a significant one for
Mailman in terms of population).  I'm actually much of the mind that
the current state of the archiver is rather good when viewed from a
Jamie Zawinski "Worse is Better" perspective.  It fulfills a minimal
need, and provides (reasonably, could be better) clear pointers to
where to go if you want to handle archiving better.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                        : http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/