[Mailman-Developers] Re: Future of pipermail?

Dan Mick Dan Mick <Dan.Mick@west.sun.com>
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:55:42 -0800 (PST)

> Except that WebDAV isn't really new and it is a ratified standard that
> basically everyone is adopting!

Ah, well, new is in the timespan of the beholder.  To me, Web-based
anything is "relatively new"....

> (but, yes, I should have included the acronym in the first place!)
>
> The key with WebDAV is that use therein means that you can point WebDAV
> enabled Mailman at Zope, IBM's websphere, Apache+mod_dav, or any of the other
> WebDAV enabled HTTP servers out there and it should "just work" (assuming they
> did the implementation right).   There is nothing proprietary about the
> solution and choosing it as a foundation for archival/management of
> messages/attachments opens doors (instead of closing doors).

Yeah, I understand the point.  But understand that virtually everyone
claims ubiquity long before they actually have it, too...

I'll research some more about the web servers I use.