[Mailman-Developers] Re: Future of pipermail?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:58:14 -0800

At 5:33 PM -0500 11/21/00, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>I'll just note briefly that Greg is a long time Pythonista

excuse me if I quietly twich at the terminology (does anyone know
where this -ista stuff came from? My first run-in iwth it was Guy
Kawasaki and his "evangelistas", but was it used before that?

>I want to read and think more, but I've been interested in WebDAV as a
>technology for a while now.

I'm starting to see serious pushes (and I'll self-admit to be one
here!) towards serious, hard-core integration of technologies. Which
is a double-edged sword of the worst and best kind. I've talked to
Barry about building ways to allow for site-wide authentication
issues, for instance, and now we're seeing WebDAV (which I find
interesting, and given it's going to be part of Apache 2.0, it's got
to be considered heir presumptive in this technology psace now, over
things like, oh, Zope. And I was looking over a couple of other
things today (MetaDot to name one..
<http://www.metadot.com/metadot/index.pl?iid=1876>) and going "hmm.
you know, that stuff's got potential, too...)

There's HUGE synergy potential here. We certainly shouldn't avoid
those things, but the more we start tying into (and/or depending on)
other technologies, the more we lock users into a single technology
suite, the more we start depending on specific technology suites the
more we lock uers into our view of how things work, and the less
flexibility we give them in building their sites. And, to some
degree, the less ability we have to adapt to future changes in the
net universe ourselves.

None of which is a reason to not do these things -- but it's reason
to be wary. We really need to understand how these things interact
and what the side effects are, including things as basic as "does
this mean it'll never run on Windows NT again?" or "did we just set
it up so they have to run apache?"

I think there's a lot here we want to do (and need to do) but -- not
for the sake of doing it.

WebDAV looks fascinating. WebDAV -- as mailman's default archiver --
looks to me to be overkill at a quick evaluation. Yes, it'll be in
there by default for apache 2.0, once Apache 2.0 ships and is out for
a while and everyone upgrades. that's, what, 2 years out before 50%
of the sites are running apache 2.x? Easily. Until then, what do we
do? And what about non-apache sites? what's this do to mailman across
all supported platforms?

I dunno -- but there's a lot of complexity here we need to make sure
we deal with in these issues. And to some degree, I think it's
another excuse for me to pull out the "lots of separately tracked
modules with API's" schtick, because we can build a Mailman API and a
WebDAV plug-in for it(along with Mhonarc and Pipermail plug-ins) and
over time, as WebDAV becomes endemic, switch the priority of
development in its direction, without locking into it. In two years,
there'll be other stuff beyond WebDAV, too, I'll bet.

I know, I know... it's all details. Details are boring (grin). but necessary...

The vet said it was behavioral, but I prefer to think of it as genetic.
It cuts down on the liability -- Get Fuzzy