[Mailman-Developers] Re: Future of pipermail?

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 22:04:14 -0800

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:52:26 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

> At 11:23 PM -0500 11/21/00, Bill Bumgarner wrote:
>> - archival of messages is a lot more than just writing the bodies
>> to a web server and then generating some kind of automatic
>> TOC/index.

> agreed completely. I'd take it a step further and say it probably
> shouldn't generate indexes at all, but that indexes should be
> generated when a user wants to access the archives, dynamically.
> That's probably the single major weakness of mhonarc.

I have half a design and some basic code roughed out to have the
PHP+MHonArc setup I used on Kanga.Nu instead inject the
deconstructed data into an SQL DB with the message presentation code
rather than reading from the PHP variable assignements sucking
everything out of the DB etc etc etc.  It wouldn't be very difficult
to do and MHonArc has excellent MIME parsing and handling features
to act in support of this.

>> MIME based email content is not only a reality, but it is often
>> the default.

> and since AOL 6.0 for windows no longer has any provision for
> text-only operation, you now have no choice but to deal with MIME
> in some way. they no lnoger HAVE the option to turn MIME off. So
> the server has to figure it out.

Ahh.  That explains why I've been rejectting so many postings from
AOL members on my lists lately (I don't allow HTML as an aid to
promoting high signal lists).

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                        : http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/