[Mailman-Developers] Re: Future of pipermail?

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 22:58:22 -0800

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 22:43:40 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

>>  Sad.  I already don't allow posts from services that append
>> advertising to their messages (eg Hotmail, Yahoo, etc).  I guess
>> I'll have to explicitly add AOL to that list.  Annoying.

> or strip to the pieces you find acceptable, using something like
> demime. Which I hope to be able to get into 2.1 in some form....

> Rather than reject -- adapt.

I've spent considerable time thinking about this and believe it is
to the lists' advantage in this case to hold firm.  My core promise
is signal.  In the final analysis it is the only promise I make and
keep for the lists: there will be signal, always.  To achieve that I
need fairly repsectable norming forces.  To achieve that rites of
participation, minor barriers to entry, identifying characteristics,
etc are all cultural assistants to establishing what is in essence a
club (as in professional or gentlemans) atmosphere and culture.
Avoiding HTML, or in this case AOL, would seem a minor and
reasonable fillip on this.

Aside: Less than 5% of my members are from AOL.  Less than 1% of my
semi-regular posters are from AOL.  The impact here (for me) is
quite small.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                        : http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/