[Mailman-Developers] Re: Future of pipermail?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 00:11:48 -0800

At 11:36 PM -0800 11/21/00, J C Lawrence wrote:

>While pursueing the LServe game we need to not lose sight of the
>little guys running a couple lists for their club of 20-some model
>train enthusiasts.

If we even want to be in teh LServe game -- but this nis one of the
neat things of the pure plug-in universe. if someone wants a big
muther listserve, plug in the fancy module. If they want simple
subscription systems, plug in the easy subscriber setup.

you have to be very careful not to try to build A THING that is
everythign for everyone, but you sure can build a framework that
contains the capability to build things  that allow you to build a
system catered to each system's needs. And maybe we don't ship all of
those variations initially (or ever!), but if someone wants it, we've
at elast built a system where they can write it for themselves (and
us).

Lots of sites won't want my muther subscriber system from hell
module, but there's no reason at all we can't take mailman's existing
system and turn it into a "simple" subscriber system. Or write one
that 100% mimics majordomo doing e-mail only. Adn in fact, for
something like this, having two or three variations to test the API
would be great. And it'd help us prove the architecture and keep us
honest, so the different modules don't cheat by looking over each
other's shoulders...

If folks want to see a successful (so far) project taht's doing this,
I think you need look no further than Gnome, and its underlying X
windows basis.

The vet said it was behavioral, but I prefer to think of it as genetic.
It cuts down on the liability -- Get Fuzzy