[Mailman-Developers] Re: Using mailman with the secure-linux kernel patch

Marc MERLIN mailman-users@python.org
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:35:14 -0700

[mailman-developers@python.org  Cced in  case  they want  to  add my  python
script to the tree, but followup set to mailman-users@python.org]

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 10:19:13AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> I wanted to have mailman run on my servers that have the secure-linux kernel
> patch. I ended up  writing a small shell script that  changed permissions so
> that  scripts ran  as UID  mailman (by  making sure  that scripts  that lock
> config.db do so with UID mailman).
> I later realized that python doesn't  seem to have a suidpython wrapper like
> perl does, so I  scrapped the shell script and attempted to  put a few lines
> of python together to modify some scripts in mailman/bin so that they change
> their uid  to mailman  if root  runs them  or complain  that they  can't run
> unless their uid is mailman.

My old version forgot to do a chown mailman before chmod 4755. Duh!

The new version, which I'm not pasting here again fixes this:
https://sourceforge.net/patch/?func=detailpatch&patch_id=101812&group_id=103

If you try out this script on your system, please drop me a line by Email to
let me know if all works fine for you

Thanks,
Marc