[Mailman-Developers] Re: Security

Dan Ohnesorg dan@feld.cvut.cz
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:38:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:

> I'm certain the bug is not in Apache as it also occurs on post
> passing straight to the list without going thru moderation.  It is
> possible it is in Exim, tho I'd be extremely surprised.  For one
> I've reinstalled all binaries from known good sources, and have
> MD5ed all Exim files against both known good sources and the copies
> installed on other happily running machines.  It is also unlikely
> that the bug is in the kernel as I've reproduced the problem with
> kernels built on other (untouched) machines and then installed on
> the offending machine, and on kernels built locally from
> cryptographically verified source balls.

I am running mailman from the beginning of mailman developing (John Viegas
version, Im not sure if the name is correct, but cheers John). It runs on
SMP machine and I have never such a problem. I have seen problems with
forking of sendmail into 1000 processes while delivering messages in big
(500 members) lists after comminting pending request. It is normal and I
have solving it by changing the parametr, whichwas called like number of
delivering processes.
But my kernel was never confused from this like Yours. I would say, Your
memory chips are wrong. User space program can never corupt filesystem.

cheers
dan

DDDDDD
DD   DD                Dan Ohnesorg, supervisor on POWER
DD  OOOO               Dan@feld.cvut.cz
DD OODDOO              Dep. of Power Engineering
DDDDDD OO              CTU FEL Prague, Bohemia
   OO  OO              work: +420 2 24352785;+420 2 24972109
    OOOO               home: +420 311 679679;+420 311 679311

Spatril jsem ji tak jak ji panbuh stvoril.
  A stal se ateistou.