[Mailman-Developers] FYI -- problems with my newinstall...

Dan A. Dickey ddickey@wamnet.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:28:53 -0600

barry@wooz.org wrote:

>     CVR> ah, that probably explains it. There were circumstances where
>     CVR> the SMTP host started rejecting due to load, and those
>     CVR> probably cascaded.
>
>     CVR> That seems to open up mailman to duplicate deliveries,
>     CVR> FWIW. I think I ran into the same issue here Chris Kolar
>     CVR> did...
>
> Can you explain in more detail what "SMTP host started rejecting due
> to load" means?  Do you mean the socket connect failed, or the SMTP
> server returned error codes, or something else.
>
> I ask because I have a simple Python smtpd for testing and if I can
> configure it to reproduce exactly the error conditions your seeing
> with sendmail, I can try to debug the dups problem.  I'd /really/ like
> to do that before 2.0 final goes out, since others are seeing this
> problem too (mostly sendmail users it seems though).
>
> Thanks,
> -Barry

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but I did report some time
ago a problem in python's smtplib.py that leaked fd's, and brought
about a bug in MailList.py (Mailman 1.1).
As far as I'm aware, this bug was not fixed in Mailman's copy of
smtplib.py,
nor in the new version of Python.  It lost file descriptors when
sendmail
quit accepting connections due to too high of a load.
	-Dan

--
Dan A. Dickey
ddickey@wamnet.com