[Mailman-Developers] Fwd: Cron <mailman@plaidworks> /usr/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/mailpasswds

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 06:59:52 -0700

Ran into this with the password-sending stuff.

As far as I can tell, I ran out of file descriptors on a system wide
basis as it dealt with the deluge of returning bounces and vacation
bots (it's Labor day! everyone's gone!) -- but Mailman needs to deal
with this error gracefully, not bomb. Recommendation: if you run out
trying to send a password reminder, go to sleep for a period of time
to let the system settle. If you get this trying to suck in returned
mail, send a DEFERRED error back to the MTA and try it again later.

Also, Barry, you probably ought to double-check that you aren't
leaking file descriptors in your password processing. I didn't see
this in beta 4 on the same system, so it might be a new bug in b5.

I'm looking to increase my file table limit, but that is working
around the system, not the problem.

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 05:31:14 -0700
From: root (Cron Daemon)
To: mailman
Subject: Cron <mailman@plaidworks> /usr/bin/python -S
/home/mailman/cron/mailpasswds

Traceback (innermost last):
   File "/home/mailman/cron/mailpasswds", line 153, in ?
   File "/home/mailman/cron/mailpasswds", line 148, in main
   File "/home/mailman/cron/mailpasswds", line 84, in mail_passwords
   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/HandlerAPI.py", line 181, in
DeliverToUser
   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/HandlerAPI.py", line 152, in
DeliverToList
   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Message.py", line 176, in Enqueue
   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 578, in open_ex
IOError: [Errno 23] Too many open files in system:
'/home/mailman/qfiles/2927df48866c7f7e7fb0221ea2168296955d66b8.db'

--- end forwarded text

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"