[Mailman-Developers] A couple of mailman problems (minor)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:03:59 -0700

A couple of things I've noticed about mailman recently:

1) remove_members doesn't have an option to unsubscribe a user
without sending the "goodbye" message. it's not something I need
often, but there are times when it's necessary.

2) more serious -- I've been running into some problems with
passwords, and I've finally tracked down a major cause of user
confusion with passwords. Mailman passwords use random strings of
characters, but some of the characters can be confused with each
other by users -- specifically the one (1), the upper case I and
lower case l, and zero (0) and upper case o. In the cases I've been
able to resolve, the password problems that weren't caused by not
realizing each list's password is different were caused by the l/1/I
problem. so I'd like to suggest that mailman not use potentially
confusing letters in their passwords.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"