[Mailman-Developers] Re: Re: Error in scripts/driver?

David Champion dgc@uchicago.edu
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 01:33:05 -0500

On 2000.09.13, in <14784.23202.487093.880960@anthem.concentric.net>,
	"Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw@beopen.com> wrote:

>     | Looks like line 121 of scripts/driver needs to say
>     |         from Mailman.Version import VERSION
>     | instead of
>     |         from Mailman.mm_cfg import VERSION
>
>     DC> I know enough python to club myself in the head, but I think I
>     DC> hit this one because I had a bug (since resolved) in
>     DC> Defaults.py.[1] If Defaults.py or mm_cfg.py have a traceback
>     DC> error, this looks like it will come up.  By importing VERSION
>     DC> explicitly as below, you at least can get the trace
>     DC> informationon the _original_ problem.  If it's inherited from
>     DC> Defaults.py, then you still get this problem.
>
>     DC> [1] If you're curious, I modify Defaults.py to have a separate
>     DC> data area from the mailman installation directory.
>
> Please note that you should never edit Defaults.py.  Put all your site
> configurations in mm_cfg.py, which will override the settings in
> Defaults.py.

I disagree, but now's not the time to debate that.  It's not the issue
I was raising, anyway.  You said in the patch followup that "the
problem stemmed from an error introduced in Defaults.py by the user."
Not exactly; changes to Defaults.py illuminated what seemed already to
be a problem.

The bug I created caused a traceback report, but that traceback itself
was faulty.  *That* is what this patch tried to fix.

I don't know whether that makes any difference, though.

--
 -D.	dgc@uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago