[Mailman-Developers] NULL characters in e-mail.

Dan Mick Dan Mick <Dan.Mick@West.Sun.COM>
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:01:59 -0700 (PDT)

> At 4:43 PM -0700 9/20/00, Dan Mick wrote:
> >Just out of curiosity, why is this not the MTA's job?
> >(actually I'm really surprised it made it through the MTA unscathed)
> >
> >I suppose maybe the RFC says something about it...hmm...
>
> the MTA probably has to be transparent here. I can't think of
> anything in the RFCs that'd cover it, so I wouldn't depend on it.
> More importantly, since the MTAs clearly don't do anything about
> this, the MLM can't simply say "not my problem" and wait for all of
> the MTAs to get "fixed".

But I could make the same argument about MLMs (of which
there are more than one) or MUAs (same).  The question of "whose
responsibility is it" is a useful one.

For instance, if indeed it was the MTA's violation, maybe it's only
this one MTA, or one revision of the MTA, that had the bug.  So fixing
MLMs would be the wrong thing to do.

Maybe you know something more about the set of MTAs involved than
I do, since you say "the MTAs cleaerly don't do anything".