Fw: [Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Announce] Announcing Mailman 2.0 beta 6

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 11:23:49 -0700

At 5:54 PM +0200 9/24/00, Thomas Wouters wrote:
>]There's a *lot* of vacation-like stuff out there that doesn't include the
>original message (or even something that identifies the message, like the
>subject or any of the mail headers!)

that's true, but it's a start. And more importantly, it catches the
worst offenders, which are the ones most likely to start the
1000-messages-in-an-hour mail loops.

My policy is that anyone who's mailbot blats at a list or at someone
who posts to a list is dropped from the list when I see it, and that
helps convince people to fix them next time. I'm not *as* worried
about the once-in-a-while vacation message (although they're very
irritating to me and many users, and a huge waste of resource) as I
am the ones that aren't smart enough not to respond to themselves and
start disasterous mail loops.

You won't find 100% solutions for these, but there are things you can
do to catch many of them.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"