Fw: [Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Announce] Announcing Mailman 2.0 beta 6

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 07:21:56 -0700

At 10:15 AM +0100 9/25/00, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>bwarsaw@beopen.com said:
>>  P.S. I also hate MTAs that insist on sending warnings to bulk email,
>>  and I /really/ hate idiot MTAs that send bounces with no detectable
>>  recipient email address in them.  How helpful, thanks!
>
>Hmm... good point...

The brain-damage of the century award goes to -- Lotus Notes. Because
for at least some releases (I don't know if it's fixed, but I doubt
it), the server can be configured to send back a "message opened"
"message deleted" "message laughed at" note. But this was an option
configurable by the admin, not the user. Which means a server can
blat back on every message, including mail lists, and the user
doesn't know it and can't change it. Fortunately, most admins turn it
off, but I've banned some Notes sites from my systems because of this.

A global "send a message every time an e-mail is *touched*" mode,
with no way to have a user turn it off, and no logic to keep it from
annoying lists or any other e-mail service. What were they thinking?

In general, though, Notes is not my favorite mailer, although
Microsoft Exchange continues with the life achiement award for
cluelessness.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"