[Mailman-Developers] Re: problem with latest archiver code.

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:42:27 -0700

At 2:32 PM -0400 9/26/00, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>Yep, but this could be a cross-platform issue.

>What platform are you running on?  For me on Linux RedHat 6.1, when I

yellowdog linux, which is RedHat ported to the PowerPC chip.

>try to see past the end of a non-existant or zero length file, I get
>an EINVAL (errcode 22), which Mailbox.AppendMessage() should catch and
>ignore.  If your error numbers are the same as mine, you're getting an
>EOVERFLOW, but why?  What does "Value too large for defined data type"
>mean?

it seems to be returing a value that won't fit in the variable.

>If that's the case, changing line 43 to
>
>     if e.errno not in (errno.EINVAL, errno.EOVERFLOW): raise

okay, I've tweaked. I'll see how it works.

>I just tested this on a FreeBSD system I have available and the
>resulting error isn't EINVAL /or/ EOVERFLOW, it's an error code 0,
>which makes no sense!

obviously this is implementation dependent (welcome to unix!)

>Maybe Mailbox.AppendMessage() should simply discard any IOError it
>gets?

>         try:
>             self.fp.seek(-1, 2)
>         except IOError, e:
>             pass
>             # the file must be empty

if we have three platforms and three errors, the answser is simple: yes...

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"