[Mailman-Developers] Re: problem with latest archiver code.

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:37:34 -0400 (EDT)

    >> What platform are you running on?  For me on Linux RedHat 6.1,
    >> when I try to see past the end of a non-existant or zero length
    >> file, I get an EINVAL (errcode 22), which
    >> Mailbox.AppendMessage() should catch and ignore.  If your error
    >> numbers are the same as mine, you're getting an EOVERFLOW, but
    >> why?  What does "Value too large for defined data type" mean?

    MW> Standard says... (in re: lseek): EOVERFLOW: The resulting file
    MW> offset would be a value which cannot be represented correctly
    MW> in an object of type off_t.  The error message seems a
    MW> reasonable representation of that (off_t is required to be a
    MW> signed integral type).

Agreed.

    MW> Like Chuq says, this species (UNIX and relatives) is
    MW> unfortunately prone to not quite agreeing with each other in
    MW> boundary conditions, standards or no...

Or even the same distro on different platforms agreeing with each
other (we're both essentially on RH Linux, but different h/w).

    MW> and by the way, you can't count on the error /numbers/ being
    MW> the same across systems, that's not part of UNIX standards.

Right, but Python's errno module exports the symbolic names too, so we
always use those.  It's the /output/ that likes to use the numeric
values, and you can never be sure which symbolic error those map to!

Thanks, it looks like the patch I posted should do the trick.
-Barry