[Mailman-Developers] Mailman Enhancement Suggestion

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:14:15 +0200

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 02:24:19PM -0500, Stephanie Martinez wrote:

> It would be helpful for some people (I hope not just me) if there was a
> way to associate a name or nickname with an email address.  Some people
> keep lists for administrative reasons, and it is easier to find the person
> we are looking for by name (rather than email address).

Yes, that would be nice. While we're at it, we should add a list of aliases
each person has, so when you set the list to 'members-only posting', you can
accept mail from those aliases as well. And lots of other things ;) All of
this requires a real user-database, though, which Mailman currently does not
have. (Each subscriber is stored in the list object, independant of other
lists. So if you subscribe to four lists on the same Mailman server, you
would have to copy all the data to all four lists.) A user-database (as well
as a 'better' database for the rest of Mailman) is one of the things high on
the wishlist.

> While I'm at it, it appears that a person can unsubscribe from a list even
> if its set to confirm + approve.  It would be nice if users could not
> unsubscribe themselves from these lists without approval also.  Sometimes
> you need to ensure someone gets email from a list.  Or maybe anothe
> roption added about needing confirmation to unsubscribe from
> administrator.

I agree ;) We need it for a few work-related lists, so I wrote it. You can
find a patch for it on sourceforge. I haven't updated it in a while, but I'm
fairly sure it'll apply cleanly, or perhaps with a little offset. Barry
isn't sure if this is a good idea, though, eventhough the site admin has to
enable it, and it's default off. Perhaps we can persuade him ? ;)

The patch can be found here:

https://sourceforge.net/patch/?func=detailpatch&patch_id=100500&group_id=103

Barry marked it Postponed, because it's not going in 2.0 for sure.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>