[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.1.x

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:02:11 -0400

    DM> Any opinions on its stability?  I'm setting up a new server,
    DM> and am contemplating starting off with 2.1.  Is it ready for
    DM> prime-ish time (I can investigate and resolve some problems)
    DM> yet?

I'm relatively comfortable with its stability in terms of getting mail
through the system, although I am not using it for anything except
internal testing right now.  I haven't even foisted it on my fellow
Pythonlabbers yet.  And don't worry, you guys will be my first real
litter of guinea pigs. :)

I'm less comfortable with all the file formats, schemas and APIs I've
chosen.  E.g. the new pending.db format has already changed and, as
befits alpha software, I reserve the right to change formats in
incompatible and non-upgradable ways.  I will of course, guarantee
that you can upgrade from 2.0.3 to 2.1, but not in between any of the
alphas.

Part of the responsibility of going to beta is to freeze those kinds
of things (barring catastrophic showstopping bugs that can't be fixed
any other way).  If you're comfortable with that, I'd be thrilled with
you giving 2.1 a spin for real.

    DM> I'm also considering taking the Postfix plunge at the same
    DM> time.  I probably need mental help.  :)

doctor-it-hurts-when-i-do-this-ly y'rs,
-Barry