[Mailman-Developers] Patch: Optionally Suppressing List Headers

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:26:49 -0400

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 08:19:35PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     JRA> You're saying that a list object *wraps* a database, then.
>     JRA> If so, yeah, the object sure as hell *ought* to deal with
>     JRA> that issue itself.
>
>     JRA> Careful how you use the word "databases"... I *think* you
>     JRA> actually *mean* "records" (or rows), but I'm not sure.
>
> Not quite.
>
> Okay, I'm being a little bit abstract, but bear with me.  Eventually
> <wink> list objects will be backed by a Real Database (and some folks
> have already prototyped this).

Ok...

> Concretely, Mailman currently stores a MailList instance's attributes
> in a file whose format is a Python marshal of a Python dictionary.
> This is the config.db file and is essentially what I'm talking about
> when I say "schema" since it serves the same purpose, although it's
> not explicitly described, e.g. as it would be in a traditional
> relational database.  Nonetheless, if you change the MailList object's
> attributes (add or delete) you need to update this implicit schema in
> the ways I've described.

Ah.  The problem comes from the fact that the exported marshals won't
have the new data.  Perhaps python needs to evaluate something else for
it's marshalling file format?

XML?  Hmmmm??

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink