[Mailman-Developers] Patch: Optionally Suppressing List Headers

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 22:17:07 -0400

    JRA> Ah.  The problem comes from the fact that the exported
    JRA> marshals won't have the new data.  Perhaps python needs to
    JRA> evaluate something else for it's marshalling file format?

    JRA> XML?  Hmmmm??

I'm not sure how that would help -- you still have to update the file
to have the new data.  Sure, you could do it in a text editor, but no
one will! :)

Marshals, BTW, exist primarily to support caching of compiled byte
code.  A .pyc file is a marshal with a little bit of header
information.  They also happen to be an efficient way to store and
load simple Python objects.  Pickles are better for more complex
objects (e.g. instances, or cyclic data structures).

I've no doubt that somewhere, someone's got an XML DTD that supports
serialization of Python objects.  Probably xmlrpc or something in
Zope, I don't know for sure.  Of course, Python existed long before
XML meant anything other than "eXtremely Mean Lemmings".

-Barry