[Mailman-Developers] Remote scripting with XML-RPC

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 00:39:22 +0200

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 05:36:42PM -0400, Eric Kidd wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 11:26:53PM +0200, Ricardo Kustner wrote:
> > What about using SOAP? I don't know that much about it but it looks like
> > about the same thing XML-RPC does but I could be wrong though :)
> Basically, XML-RPC is a very early fork of SOAP, back before a whole bunch
> of internal Microsoft committees each decided to add their favorite
> feature to the specification. ;-)
> Pros of XML-RPC:
>   * All the clients and servers talk to each other already.
>   * It's ridiculously simple.
>   * Clients are available for all of the major scripting languages, and
>     many of the minor ones.
>   * I'm willing to implement it. :-)
> Basically, XML-RPC is a Real Simple, Right Now<tm> kind of thing.  SOAP is
> a little bit like OSI networking or SGML--a sweet idea in theory, but a wee
> bit complex in practice.
> But it's not an either-or choice.  All my XML-RPC work will be open source,
> so once there's a good SOAP library for Python, it will be really easy to
> add SOAP support.
> Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

Sounds great to me... This would give some nice opportunities like easy
integration into dynamic websites, as long as they are written in a language
that supports xmlrpc... I know I would almost certainly be using it in some
PHP sites I made to integrate the subscription pages better.
Do you think this would require major changes in the mailman code? I can
imagine the question will rise if it is something which could be added now
or in a future version of mailman.

--
Regards,

Ricardo