[Mailman-Developers] mailman misparses non RFC 822 compliant Email addresses

Marc MERLIN marc_news@valinux.com
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:23:22 -0700

Apparently, this old bug is still here  (I remember seeing it in the mailman
1.0rc1 days, and back  then we solved it by having the  user change his mail
name so as not to have a dot)

My mailman is configured to look at the header from (not the envelope from),
and the header from says:
From: David E.Fox <dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com>

It seems  that mailman gets  confused by the dot  in "David E.Fox"  and then
fails to handle the Email address correctly, and decides that the user isn't
in the list of subscribers, so he can't  post, or it may just be confused by
the fact that there are no quotes around the name.
(notice that mailman thinks the Email is davide.fox and not
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com)

Did I miss something, is this actually a buglet that's still here?

(Note that this From  field is invalid as per RFC  822, because it's missing
the double quotes. The user uses Kmail and it's a kmail bug).

If you concur that  this is a problem, please let me know,  and I can open a
bug on sourceforge.

Thanks,
Marc

----- Forwarded message from svlug-admin@lists.svlug.org -----