[Mailman-Developers] mailman misparses non RFC 822 compliant Email addresses

Marc MERLIN marc_news@valinux.com
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:12:35 -0700

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 12:37:28AM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 03:23:22PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > From: David E.Fox <dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com>
> > (Note that this From  field is invalid as per RFC  822, because it's missing
> > the double quotes. The user uses Kmail and it's a kmail bug).
>
> Yes, but  note that it's *still*  parseable, since the error  is *outside*
> the bra-kets;

Correct.
I haven't found the right piece of code in mailman yet, but it smells like a
regular expression that grabs the wrong  pattern and ends up with davide.fox
instead of dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com

> it's arguable whether being pedantic *here* is productive,
> under the "be conservative what you send, liberal what you accept"

Yeah, I know about all this, I just  wanted to point out that it wasn't just
mailman that  was buggy,  it was a  mishandling of a  non common  not really
valid case, although it happens in real life.

> principle.  And yes, I *know* that someone's program, somewhere, has to
> be a hard ass... I just don't know whether it's "ours" (:-) or not...

Exim is very good at that, but it's an option. In mailman it's not :-)
(nor is it really intentional)

Marc